Tag Archives: basketball
The views expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent the opinions of the College Democrats at the University of Michigan (UMCD) or any other organization.
+ The Daily releases their photos of the year and there is not a single one from election day/night. Maybe I’m biased but that seemed like a pretty big deal at the time.
+ CSG’s Environmental Issues Commission staged a mock oil spill on the diag on Monday. Also, chemical engineers have “totally different views” than political scientists.
+ The CSG election saga continues, but it’s important to remember that student government used to be called MSA and people got arrested.
+ Zportz: Michigan is going to Atlanta, the seniors on the team are basically useless.
+ Colonel Ronald Shun says, “you can’t be an e-mail leader,” reenforcing the idea that I would be terrible in the army.
+ Finding internships is “something very close to The Hunger Games.” No, it’s really not.
+ Crime Notes uses the word “carport.” Still wondering why crime notes aren’t on the front page.
Governor Granholm’s officed release this photo of our dearest Governor upholding her end of a bet with North Carolina’s Governor Perdue. In addition to posing with North Carolina athletic gear and eating a Krispy Kreme with North Carolina blue icing she also personally donated $100 to a charity of Governor Perdue’s choice.
Note the Michigan State Ball strategically placed in the background.
May this never happen again.
Disclaimer: Please note that these opinions are those of the author alone and do not reflect those of the College Democrats as an organization, MFCD, Barack Obama, or anybody else.
1. Lots of new transfers are coming back to the University of Michigan to get cheaper in-state tuition, leading to lots of financial issues and residency issues. That’s one way to get young people moving back into the state.
2. Wide Receiver Darryl Stonum got sentenced for his DUI and could get up to 90 days in prison. If he catches a break here, it will be the first thing he’s caught this entire year. No, but seriously, I really hope he has a good year next year. We need him.
3. Nickels Arcade is apparently going strong with their business model of being random stores in a corridor students walk through and don’t go into.
4. 405 people were picked up in a sweep around the state for outstanding warrants, including 150 sex offenders. If for some reason attendance tonight at Kick Ass Thursday seems light, you know why.
5. The Law Library is underground and amazing. It’s great that they’re telling us how awesome it is in the paper for undergraduates when we’re not allowed in the friggin’ place. Thanks a lot. I’m sure that there’s also some delicious looking cake in a locked display case somewhere that the Daily could tell us about too.
6. Editorial page isn’t really exciting today. The only major thing of note is the cartoon in the corner which is one of the most depressing things i have ever read in my life. Even Monopoly isn’t safe from economic recession jokes.
7. I turn to the next page and I see the source of hope and light and joy in the world: Michigan basketball. We play today at 230 against Iowa. If we win, we are most likely in to the NCAA Tournament. If we lose and we miss the tournament, I will be plunged into a strong state of despair. Please win and go to the tournament. Please?
8. The back page of the front section is a list of people who are better than you. The thing about being here is that there are a lot of them
9. Kiss of the Spider Woman will be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Power Center. It’s a gritty musical, which is musical directed by Danny Abosch, a proud Dem. Please go, as it should be awesome and the music’s amazing. Yeah, I like musicals. What of it?
10. I generally skip entertainment stuff. Reading about new bands isnt really exciting to me.
Here is your Daily Daily for today:
1. Michigan Basketball beat Duke on Saturday. My god did we need this. After football season and basketball season last year, it wasnâ€™t the best. The UCLA win was a start, but this was Duke. Also, if you look hard at that front page picture, you can see me and Scott in the middle of the court. Iâ€™m the one wearing maize.
2. Michiganâ€™s endowment fell 20-30 percent with the recent crapping of itself that the market is still in the middle of. The bigger thing from this story is how damned large Harvardâ€™s endowment is. They were/are the 10th biggest charity in America in amount received per year. Iâ€™m not normally one to make Communist arguments about seizing assets and sharing the wealth, but yeah, um, yeah.
3. Even though the state passed Prop 1 in November, patients who need medical marijuana will have to wait months until they can get permits to grow it. My god, itâ€™s like legalizing something, while making the act of getting it illegal will cause complications that will hurt sick people. Itâ€™s almost like our current drug policies are dumb and unsustainable. (more…)
Here is your Daily Daily for your Daily Pleasure:
1. Apparently we played some sort of football game. I donâ€™t know. I didnâ€™t really watch it. OH GOD I HATE THEM SO MUCH.
2. Two students are making the effort to live on one dollar a day for food to raise awareness of hunger issues. In solidarity, I will only eat one dollar an hourâ€™s worth of food. Itâ€™ll be tough, but I think I can do it. Itâ€™s only one bag of chips, but I can do it for the kids and hungry people.
3. Milo Radulovich will be receiving an honorary degree after being kicked out of U of M during the Red Scare.
4. Shots were fired at the car with the Presidents of Georgia and Russia in them at an anniversary celebration for the Rose Revolution. I wonder who dislikes both of them. I have absolutely no idea **COUGH**Russia**Cough**
5. Astronauts are working on a machine to turn urine into clean water so it can be recycled and drank. There are so many pee jokes rushing through my mind right now. It will feel really good to let them all flow out of me and be washed away.
6. The Opinion page isnâ€™t terrible. Some letter writers are dumb and think we should get rid of Rich Rod or that he isnâ€™t that good. The war in the Daily over Israel-Palestine issues continues unabated. Their staff editorial is about how Dingell being replaced was good. That might be worth a letter to defend the Congressman, though it canâ€™t change a whole lot at this point.
7. The Daily Arts had another hissy fit, while reviewing everything. This time, they didnâ€™t like Kanye and basically called him out on his entire image. First of all, I will always love Kanye for Mike Myersâ€™ reaction at 1:34 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1j77mo6Vc Second, Kanye has a blog that is nothing more than shiny and cool looking things that he wants. If that doesnâ€™t capture our generational zeitgeist better than anything else, I donâ€™t know what does.
8. Duke sucks. They are also all that is evil with the world. I actually met a girl on Friday night who was a Duke fan and a Yankees fan. It made perfect sense. This is all I have to say about Duke:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions within this political commentary are those of the author alone and do not reflect the views of the College Democrats at the University of Michigan, the Michigan Federation of College Democrats, the University of Michigan, or the Democratic Party and are probably not funny even though the author thinks that they are absolutely hilarious. But Duke really does suck and if you think the opposite, I dislike you. Come to Crisler on December 6th at 3:30 to watch a glorious victory against evil.